At Titus Dentistry, helping our patients in the Middletown, IN area prevent dental issues and maintain healthy smiles is at the heart of our practice. With an ever-expanding body of research that shows that the health of your mouth is linked to the health of your whole body, taking good care of your teeth and gums at home and visiting the dentist for regular dental exams and cleanings is vitally important for your overall health and well-being.
Why dental exams and professional cleanings are important
With today’s busy families and hectic schedules, it can be easy to put off scheduling routine dental cleanings and check-ups – especially if you aren’t in any pain. But spending a short amount of time at a routine hygiene visit is one of the best ways to stay out of the dental chair for more time-consuming and costly treatments that can strike at inconvenient times.
At Titus Dentistry, each exam and cleaning has several important steps that are designed to keep your mouth in optimal health:
- A visual examination of your teeth, gums, and other oral structures to check for signs of decay, gum disease, or other issues
- Digital dental x-rays as needed to get a closer look at the inner structures that are not visible to the naked eye
- Cleaning teeth with special instruments that are designed for removing plaque from teeth and any hardened tartar, which cannot be removed with brushing and flossing alone after it has built up
- Polishing teeth with a gritty toothpaste that not only helps whiten and polish your teeth for a pearly white shine, but also reduces the surface area that bacteria and plaque can cling to
- Flossing between your teeth and gums, cleaning out any remaining debris, bacteria, or toothpaste and then rinsing your mouth thoroughly with fresh water
In short, a routine hygiene visit is like “wiping the slate clean,” removing disease-causing bacteria and plaque from your teeth and gums to help prevent cavities, decay, or gum disease from developing. In addition, by coming into the office for an exam at least twice per year, it enables us to detect any potential issues early on when they are first developing, rather than later on when they have progressed and are more difficult and costly to treat.
Whether you come in for hygiene visits regularly or haven’t seen the dentist in some time, we are here for your preventive care needs at Titus Dentistry. Dr. Titus and our entire team of dental professionals provide gentle, non-judgmental care and look forward to helping you maintain your beautiful, healthy smile. Call us in Middletown, IN today at (765) 358-5868 to schedule your appointment!