At Titus Dentistry, we offer restorative treatments to give patients’ back their natural smiles. Dental crowns are one of the most common restorations we offer in order to repair and protect teeth. Dental crowns cover the visible portion of the tooth and are most often used to strengthen a tooth that has been weakened due to damage or decay. In the past, dental crowns required multiple visits to the dentist, but with advanced dental technology known as CEREC (chairside economical restoration of esthetic ceramics), we can offer them in just a single visit.
Reasons for needing a crown
There are several situations that can require the need for dental crown treatment. These are among the most common:
- Trauma – An injury such as a fall, a car accident, or even a sports accident can cause tooth enamel to crack or fracture. Dental crowns can protect the tooth from further damage.
- Decay – A tooth that has had multiple fillings or a root canal can be weakened and prone to further breakage. In these cases, a dental crown restores functionality and protects this tooth.
- Missing Teeth – Individuals who are missing teeth may opt to have a dental implant placed into the jawbone and a dental crown attached in order to complete the restoration and fill in the gap in the smile.
The Technology used for Same-Day Crowns at Titus Dentistry explained by Dr. Jonathan Titus
Why Dental Crowns are needed?
Dental Crowns are generally fixed for fractured teeth and teeth with large restorations. Over time the structure around a tooth with a large restoration tends to break down.
When there’s no longer enough structure to hold a filling in place, a crown needs to be placed to restore the form and function of the tooth.
What is the difference between traditional and Same-Day CEREC Crowns?
Titus Dentistry offers CEREC technology to make same-day restorations for the patients. Traditionally a patient would require to make two visits to complete the dental crowns treatment.
How does the CEREC make it possible for same-day crowns?
– Instead of conventional impressions, digital impressions are taken with a handheld scanner.
– Crowns are designed while the patient waits.
– A machine mills the design out of high strength porcelain.
– The patients are provided with a high-quality strong restoration in one single visit.
What are the benefits of same-day restorations?
– It allows the patients to utilize their time better.
– It allows the doctor to take care of the patient in a more precise and controlled manner.
What are CEREC Crowns?
Traditional crowns typically require two appointments. During the first appointment, impressions are taken, and the tooth is prepared for the crown by removing a small portion of the enamel. Then those impressions are sent to a lab for custom fabrication of the crown, forcing patients to wear a temporary crown during the wait.
With CEREC crowns, we utilize CAD/CAM technology to take impressions, design the crown, and fabricate it all in the office during a single appointment. Instead of bad-tasting impression material we’ll take digital impressions using an intraoral camera to take pictures of the teeth and measure for placement of the crown. Then we will use a high-strength ceramic block to mill the dental crown in the office to create a strong, natural-looking, and long-lasting restoration.
At Titus Dentistry, we are committed to using advanced technology to restore patients’ smiles. If you would like to learn more about the benefits of CEREC same day crowns, please give us a call at (765) 358-5868.